Monday, August 20, 2007

Hmmm . . . I look silly!!

So since my last post I had another day off and then I started my on-site training at Disney's MGM Studios. During this training called "On With the Show!" we took a walking tour of MGM to see what a typical guest sees at MGM (by the way, there are 2 full service bars there!). It was hot so we were all a little bit sweaty and gross (especially since we had to wear "professional casual" clothing) but the tour only lasted about 2.5-3 hours. Then we had a break in our cafeteria there called "Take 5" (one of the many witty names used at MGM to refer to movie terms and such) and the food there is actually pretty good and reasonably priced (probably the only place in Disney reasonably priced!!). In the afternoon we had a computer training session and a little lecture type of thing about the "backstage" of MGM and then I got my costume.

Ahhhh my costume. Disney sizes are stupid. For a bunch of really smart people their costumes suck. ;-) The costume itself isn't that bad, white pants or shorts and a button down shirt. The way they fit is when they look silly. The pants don't fit anyone right and for the women, you have to go up 2 FULL EVEN SIZES than what you normally wear (not the biggest ego boost but whatever). Then we got a pretty pin that only cast members who complete "On With the Show" receive so that's cool.

Then yesterday I had my first day of custodial on-site training. Basically, I learned what chemicals and such to use while cleaning the restrooms and how to use a power vac (a big lawnmower type vacuum we use to clean up after the parade). It isn't as bad as you would think to lean bathrooms (thus far) and being out in the actual park is fun because the custodial cast members are sort of like walking guest relations. Everyone asks us anything and everything about the park, so we really need to know where everything is, what times things start and who to ask if something happens!!! They warned us that even though we are wearing our "Earning My Ears" badge under our nametag, people will still ask us ANYTHING. And they do!!! But it's cool to actually know the answers and help people.

Today I completed my actual custodial training learning how to do "trash runs" where we empty out the trash cans in an area. I also got my custodial "toys", if you will, today. I got a picker, a pan and broom and a gum scraper (which I hope to not use that often). I also got my raingear which I assure you is the sexiest thing ever and supposedly extremely warm to wear so woooo for that. I'm only waiting on my lanyard so I can trade with guests because the kids are really cute when they come up to see your pins. Tomorrow is my "Assessment Training" where they'll quiz me on everything about MGM and being custodial and I guess I need to pass to get to sweep!!! Assuming I'll pass, I will be on my own for a half of a shift sweeping down Sunset Blvd.

I am super sleepy and luckily I get to sleep in tomorrow!! (I had to get up at 5:45 today!) So for now I'm going to work out, get some food and maybe soak up some rays in a bathing suit instead of a costume. :-)

1 comment:

Debbie Harris said...

Where's the photo of you in your costume?